Dartmouth College Office of Visa & Immigration Services
Immigration Program Extension Request Form
Dartmouth College Seal
Office of Visa & Immigration Services
Dartmouth College
63 South Main St., Suite 303
Hanover, NH 03755
Telephone: (603) 646-3474
Fax: (603) 646-1616

International F-1 or J-1 Program Extension Request Form

****Please note -- If you are a J1 SCHOLAR wishing to extend your program - please visit https://ovis.dartmouth.edu/istart/controllers/start/start.cfm to access our Online Intake System (Sunapsis).  Click on Administrative Services for University Departments on the lower left of the page.  Choose Departmental Services and then choose J-1 Scholar Extension.  Please contact OVIS if you have any questions  646-3474.

This form must be completed and submitted by any department sponsoring an F-1 or J-1 status international student  if they wish to extend their I-20 form (F-1 students) or their DS-2019 form (J-1 students).  This form can also be completed and submitted by the international student.

Extending the I-20 or DS-2019 form will allow the international student to remain at Dartmouth for a longer period in order to complete the academic program, however it will not give the student a new visa stamp for international travel.  A new visa is not required, once we extend the program, unless the student departs the U.S. and wishes to re-enter to return to Dartmouth. To get a new visa, once we issue the new extended I-20 form or DS-2019 form, the student would have to apply for a visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the U.S.


The information requested in this form is needed by the Office of Visa and Immigration Services (OVIS) at Dartmouth College in order to extend your legal immigration status.

In addition to this completed online form, we will need the following:

** a copy of your valid passport ID page and renewal page if applicable

** If you entered the U.S. by land, a copy of your most recent I-94 card, front and back.  If you entered the U.S. by air or sea, a copy of your admission stamp and electronic Form I-94 print-out.

** a copy of your most recent I-20 form (F-1 Students) or your DS-2019 form (J-1 students)

** For J-1 students only:  a copy of your proof of health insurance coverage for the extended period requested

** A letter from your supervising faculty member or Program Director, including the following:
1) The new requested end date for your program (this is the date you will finish your academic program or end your employment)
2) Funding information (confirmation of continued full stipend and scholarship)
3) A statement as to the reason for the needed additional time.

** A new program end date/graduation date in Banner

You may scan all of these documents into one pdf file and upload that file at the end of this form.  Alternatively, you can choose to submit paper copies to our office.

If you are not sure how to answer any of the specific questions being asked, please click on the small square question mark icon next to the end of the question for help.

(Page 1 / 6)
Dartmouth College Office of Visa & Immigration Services
Immigration Program Extension Request Form