If you are ordering supplies for the recent adverse health effects following synthetic marijuana usage in Colorado, please follow the instructions sent via the
HAN Update MESSAGE ID: 09052013 16:20
[Excerpt pasted below]
CDPHE is requesting that treating physicians collect the samples listed below from the affected patients at the earliest time possible after presentation to the ED or hospitalization.
- Whole blood sample (1 tube) using a lavender top tube containing EDTA
- Urine sample collected using normal methods.
These samples should be refrigerated and submitted to the CDPHE Laboratory (see box below for transport information) where they will be forwarded to a reference laboratory for analysis using specialized methods for synthetic marijuana and designer drug compounds and their metabolites.
• Specimens must be properly labeled and accompanied with a completed CDPHE Toxicology requisition form (call 303-692-3074 to request forms):
o Patient name
o Date of birth
o Submitting Agency ID (name of facility and contact)
o Specimen type (if other please indicate type)
o Specimen collection date
o Chain of custody information
o On the top of the form please write “OUTBREAK”
• Place labeled specimen(s) in a small biohazard specimen bag containing absorbent material & seal.
• Place the laboratory request form in the pocket sleeve of the biohazard bag.
• Place the specimen in an appropriate transport container with refrigerant packs.
• Indicate “refrigerated” on the outside of the transport container
• Send to the CDPHE Laboratory via CDPHE courier service Monday-Friday (call 303-692-3086 to set up courier pick up), or through your hospital lab courier system (if it routinely stops at the CDPHE Laboratory), or ship to:
CDPHE Laboratory Services Division
8100 E Lowry Blvd
Denver, CO 80230